The Peneda-Gerês National Park is composed of four main mountains: Peneda, Soajo, Amarela and Gerês. The highest points are located in the Mountains of Gerês and are: Pico da Nevosa (1545 m) and the Altar dos Cabrões (1538 m) located next to the separation between Portuguese and Spanish territory. In this same area are located the abandoned Mines of Carris (1440 m), where at the 50’s were explored important parts of wolfram.
Mata de Albergaria, near the border of Portela do Homem, represents the heart of the Gerês Mountains and is a natural ex-libris of the region and the country. The origins of the Peneda Gerês National Park date back to 1971 when Decree-Law 187/71 of May 8 determined the official constitution of the only park with the status of a national park in Portugal: the Peneda Gerês National Park (PGNP ). It is located in the north of Portugal, encompassing the provinces of Minho and Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, and is bordered by meridians 8º25’W and 7º53’W and parallels 41º41’N and 42º05’N.
The creation of the Peneda Gerês National Park had as objective the creation of a planning system capable of valorizing human activities, safeguarding the conservation of the soil, water, flora and fauna, as well as the preservation of the landscape in this vast mountainous region as well as long-term scientific planning.